Yesterday Pink Avenue Models blogged about promotional modeling and what the modeling agency expects from its models. Today we thought that we should blog about trade show tips and what to expect when working a trade show. With tons of trade shows coming up we thought this would be the perfect time to give some advice to our models.
2. Smile and say hello to everyone that you see. Models are hired to attract people to the booth, stopping them as they walk by is a sure way to get them to come in and talk to the sales team.
3.Try not to network, this is not the time or place for models to try and get connections. Handing out your own business card in not acceptable.
4. Always bring a change of shoes. Standing in heels for 8,9, 0r 10 hours is going to be painful. Bring flats of comfortable shoes to change into while on your break or after your shift.
5. Bring lunch with you. Convention centers are not the best places to get lunch. You might find a McDonalds or a pizza place but it will be expensive and not that good. If you bring your lunch you can eat whatever you want and will have snacks for you breaks if you need them.
6. Bring a big bag on the last day of the show. There are a lot of food shows that want to get rid of everything on the last day and will give it to anyone that wants it. This is not guaranteed so do not get upset if you walk away with nothing.
7. No whining about how your feet hurt or that you are cold and uncomfortable. People will ask you if your feet hurt and feel bad for you. Always just smile and say something positive.
8. Trade show models should own a black dress, black blazer, black pencil skirt and comfortable but sexy heels. These are the most requested outfits for trade show models. Some shows ask for something different or provide the outfit but usually its something conservative but sexy.
9. Don’t lose your badge. This is what gets you in the show day after day. Make sure you have it each time you leave the convention center so you can get back in.
10. Offer to help the client with anything they may need. This doesn’t mean staying hours after the show to take down the booth but it does mean general assistance.
Trade shows can sometimes be a lot of fun and some are a little boring but models are there to make them fun. Trade show models are hired because they are beautiful, intelligent and fun so make sure you act the part.
Team Pink Avenue