The best way for promotional models to get professional pictures is to do some TFP work. TFP means trade for pictures/prints and is a free way to work with great photographers. A lot of our clients want to see a mix of professional and candid pictures and if you don’t have both we can’t submit you. The easiest way to find photographers to do TFP work is from other models or modeling websites such as Model Mayhem. Here are a few tips to guide you through your first photo shoot. It can be a lot of hard work but so much fun at the same time.
- Bring someone with you if it is your first time. This is normal and expected.
- Go over everything with the photographer before you arrive. You should talk about the images you need and the attire you will be wearing. Maybe you can come up with great themes and ideas together.
- Ask about MUA’s. This isn’t always going to be a possibility but it’s nice when you have one. they can give you different looks.
- Pack everything you plan on wearing and more. Make sure you have jewelry, shoes,accessories, make up and tons of clothes. Try to avoid solid colors like black and white, they look horrible on film. Pack the day before so you are in no hurry the next day, always be prepared.
- Make sure you get a great head shot, and body shot. Every modeling agency will ask for these types of pictures.
- Practice your poses and look at magazines to learn a few poses. It is much harder than it looks. Tip: If the pose doesn’t hurt it won’t look good.
- Make sure you and the photographer discuss a time limit on when you will receive your photos. This could be 3 days to 3 weeks depending on how busy the photographer is. They will edit a couple for you and maybe charge to edit others.
- Show up on time and do not back out. This ruins the photographers schedule and gives you a bad reputation.
- Have fun and be creative. This is art and the possibilities are endless.
- Check out the photographers work, if you don’t like their work or their style of shooting chances are you won’t get what you want out of the shoot.
These are just a few tips to help you and make your photo shoots a little easier. Have fun!
Team Pink Avenue